7月1日 [Media & Technology]
Some people think the media (including newspapers，televisions，radio and internet sources) are less concerned with the accuracy of news. Some people think the information from the media is becoming incorrect . Do you agree with this opinion or not and explain why? Include examples and specific reasons.
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
It is better to relax by watching a movie or reading a book than doing physical exercises.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
Which one do you prefer：
1) a company offering you a job with challenging and interesting project but less vacation days or
2) another company offering you a job that is not so challenging and interesting but more vacation days.
When you decide which of the two places to visit, you will have two of the following choices:
1. Discuss with someone who has visited the two places.
2. Read online.
Which one do you think is better? Use details and examples to support your answer.
1. Parents should encourage their children to do their school work independently rather than help them with their school work.
2. Parents give their children weekly money to buy whatever they want. Some people think this can cause bad habits and ideas about money in children. Others think the opposite. What’s your opinion?
3. Which of the following should the parents do to rectify the behavior of their children? 1. limit the type of TV or films 2. spend more time 3. monitor and supervise children's activities with their friends
4. Some people believe going on field trips is better for children’s education (eg. go to museum), while others think it is better for children to study in the classroom at school, which one do you prefer and explain why.
5. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
Younger school children should be required to study art and music in addition to study math, language, science, and history.
6. Which one of the following values is the most important to share with a young child aged 5 to 10?
Being helpful to others
7. Teachers should be paid at least as much as doctors, lawyers or business leaders are paid.
8. When parents cannot afford time to accompany with their children, they could choose to send their children to child-care center where many children are cared together; or they could send their children to an individual caregiver.
9. Students do not respect their teachers as much as they did in the past.
10. High school teachers (teachers of students ages 14-18) spend most of class time lecturing (speaking) while the students listen and take notes. Other high school teachers spend most of class time on discussion and projects that students are highly involved in and exchange their ideas. Which of these two approaches do you think is more effective for student learning and why?
11. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? In modern times, grandparents cannot give their grandchildren useful advice because the world of today and the world of 50 years ago are too different.
12. You are helping to select a leader for a student organization or a group. Do you think a person's honesty is the most important characteristic for being a leader?
13. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: It is much easier for parents to raise children now than fifty years ago.
14. Some people think university professors should spend more time doing research while others think they should spend more time educating students. What is your view?
15. A lot of high school students now cheat in homework assignments, by asking other students for answers. Which of the following do you think is the most efficient way to stop?
-asking parents to help stop the students from cheating
-penalty or punishment to the students
-asking teacher to create homework assignment that cannot be easily cheated.
Work & Success
1. In order to succeed, it is better to be like others rather than different from everybody else.
2. The best leader should spend more time listening to other people’s ideas than taking his/her own ideas.
3. One quality that a successful leader must have is to make decision quickly; when a leader takes too much time to make decisions, he will be seen as ineffective to the people he lead.
4. The most important characteristic to a successful politician or leader is good communication skills.
5. It is better for colleagues or classmates to communicate in person than through emails in order to do a project.
6. It is better to finish a project completely and then do another project than do two or more projects at the same time.
7. People who develop different skills are more successful than people who develop one skill only.
8. Young people should try several different jobs before taking a long term career.
9. For success in school and work, the ability to adapt or adjust to a changing condition or circumstance is more important than having excellent knowledge of a job or in a field of study". Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.
1. Some people think that we should keep away from others to improve our relationship, because being away from people reminds us of how important they are. Others think we should always stay with others to have good relationship because we can communicate with them more often. Which do you prefer?
2. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Only movies that can teach us something about real life is worth watching.
3. If one of your friends has the opportunity to study in either one of two majors, which one of the following majors you will recommend:
1. A major that would allow your friend to complete studies and get a degree faster (so that he or she can get a full time job sooner)
2. A major that would require longer time to study, but can make it more likely to get better job offers in the future.
4. Your friend is going to reduce the living expenses. Which of the following way would you recommend to your friend and why?
1. Find a roommate that can share the living expenses.
2. Buy the new technology products less frequently.
3. Shop for less expensive food to cook at home.
5. The more money a person has, the more he or she should give away to the charities.
6. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: We can know more about a person from the types of friends he/she has.
7. If you and someone have been friends for a long time, you continue your friendship even if she does something you don’t like.
8. Some people like to buy and eat their meals at restaurants frequently, while others like to do this at home. Which do you prefer?
9. It is better to make friends who are intelligent than with a good sense of humor.
10. People should state their honest opinions even though they know others will disagree with their views. (13.03.02NA, values)
11. Agree or disagree: it is often not a good idea to move to a new city or a new country because you will lose touch with old friends.
Government & Society
1. The government should offer internet access to all of citizens at no cost.
2. Which one do you think is the most useful to improve our environment? Walking or bicycling to reduce driving , only consume organic food (reduce pesticide), or reuse wastes.
3. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: To achieve successful development of a country, a government should focus its budgets more on young children’s education rather than on universities.
4. In times of economic crisis, local governments often reduce the money they spend in some areas. In your opinion, if a local government is facing economic problems, which of the following areas should it spend less money on?
2 .Scientific research
3 .Parks and public gardens
5. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: The most effective way for government to encourage energy conservation is increasing the price of gasoline and electricity.
6. What one of the following is the most important action for the government to take for the protection of natural environment?
(1) fund research on new energy sources such as solar and wind power;
(2) preserve natural places such as forests and natural wildlife species.
(3) pass and enforce laws to reduce the pollution produced by companies and industries
7. It is more important for the government to spend money on art museum and concert halls than on recreational facilities such as swimming pools and playgrounds.
8. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
In the past people ate food that was better for their health than they do today.
9. The most important thing a government should do to improve health care is to clean the environment.
10. People will spend less time cooking and preparing food in twenty years than they do today.
11. Out of the following three things, which one would you prefer to regulate in order to improve your health? The kind of food you eat;The amount of exercise;The amount of stress in your life.
12. In times of economic crisis, local governments often reduce the money they spend in some areas. In your opinion, if a local government is facing economic problems, which of the following areas should it spend less money on? (14.01.18, government)
Media & Technology
1. Agree or disagree: people nowadays spend much more time than they should using text messages and new technologies such as social media to communicate with each other.
2. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: Some people think nowadays the media (including TV, radio, newspaper, and the Internet) are less concerned about the accuracy of news than in the past, and they present incorrect information which may cause some problems to the public.
3. It is more important to read and watch news presented by people whose opinion is different from your own view than by people whose opinion are similar to yours.